Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Chapter 19 - The only Limitations we have are those of our Mind, The Singing Dog & Dealing with Loss

My second sister sent me some pics of my old dog this afternoon. As strong as I force myself to always be, tears surged forth once again as the lovely memories with her were refreshed in my mind. It is seldom that I feel this sort of feeling that renders me incapable of doing anything else or thinking of anything else. She left too soon. That is what I think about mostly. I grew up with dogs and by the time it came to her, I knew she was something exceptionally special and most people who came into contact with her felt that. My sister loved her too as Lola would "sing" each time she practised her voice scales in the shower. Lola just stood outside the bathroom "singing"(she sings in cascading barks, not words of course. i am dead serious. I thought my sister was getting delusional till I heard it for myself). So to many, they think it's loony and impossible. To others, they cannot comprehend how someone can share such a deep connection with an animal. And I never thought I ever would. It is through her that I knew that anything was possible. Just because most of us have never seen or heard a dog sing does not mean they cannot sing. Every neighbour knew her as they would open their doors and let her into their houses. She would always turn round on her back to let people tickle her tummy. She loved humans. She loved us with all of her heart. The difference between cats and dogs. Dogs really love you. My sister's words in her email were "Lola was such a special and endearing dog. Feel very blessed our lives crossed with this special dog in this lifetime." And I thought to myself that although it has been almost 2 years since her death, and still each day I deal with her loss, I should be thankful that I had the chance to meet her. I keep thinking to myself that she left too soon, so I learnt through her that sometimes in life we meet good people so please let us not take them for granted, but appreciate their goodness while they are still here. Because you never really know when they will leave. And sometimes they really leave too soon. Each moment is precious. I still remember the phone call I received telling me that she was bitten by a golden retriever (of all dogs!) and that her head was dangling and her eyes were rolling. That moment tore my heart apart. I kept her ashes in a chinese porcelain urn but my mother (being more superstitious) told me to free her spirit in the sea which I did...a spot at East Coast beach by the breakwater which I visit each time I go there...quietly in my heart, I say hello. Today I miss her...her name was Lola...

3 comments:

  1. i feel your pain dear, i really do, people with pets always will, somewhere along the line, they become family members, whom you love unconditionally, and we mourn them the same way.. i lost one fluffy 6 years ago, and the pain is always fresh, what we have to do i always remember that we enriched their lives as much as they did ours.. you'll meet lola someday xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. we buried our 'baby' 2yr old bunny at my uncle's backyard. It was painful but I still can't say that I know how you feel cos Lola was really special.

    btw..*eh hem* to defend my love for cats..they love humans as much as dogs do..they just don't show it..I think I'm so much like a cat..so cool :P hope that made you smile a little

    ReplyDelete
  3. just show la...haha...makes things easier....you know? ;)

    ReplyDelete